II. Cataloging Procedures
REFERENCE ITEMS PROCEDURES
To distinguish the circulating copies from the reference copy assign a status "o" to the reference copy. This will display "REFERENCE" which is a clear indicator to the patron that it is non-circulating.
TRANSFERRING ATTACHED RECORDS
Locate the bibliographic records. If there are tags or information that needs to be retained and moved from the source bibliographic record to the destination, the information must be manually transferred.
- Once any bibliographic tags have been added click the Edit button of the source bibliographic record.
- Click on Edit in the Menu bar and select Transfer Attached.
- You will be prompted to locate a destination bibliographic record.
- Search and select the destination bibliographic record.
- Once you have transferred the attached records you will be asked if you want to delete the source bibliographic record.
The following fields must be retained in the destination bibliographic record. If any one of these fields exists only in the source record, they must be manually put in the destination record:
020, 024, 028, 040, 049, 100, 245, 246, 250, 260, 264 any 300, 440, 490, any 500, any 600, any 700.
There are two different procedures for deleting items that are not checked out. Note: an item with holds can not be deleted. You must first cancel the hold(s) to delete the item.
- Batch Deletion: Change the status of an item record to d for discard.
- This will generate a popup notification on check in that the status is discard. It will also prevent these items from appearing on the paging lists.
- A list can later be run of all of your items with this status and then from that review file, they can be batch deleted.
- Individual Deletion: In the Summary View of an item, click on the item to be deleted and click the delete button.
- This will remove the item completely from the system.
CATALOGING DVD TELEVISION SERIES
When cataloging television series the title should be the name of the TV show followed by the season, spelled out, in subfield “n”. Example: 245|The Addams Family. |n Season one
If the title is modified, the original title needs to be added as a 246 field. If a bib is downloaded with other added titles, they do not need to be removed.
Back to Cataloging