Hours: Part time. Hours vary, but may not exceed 29 hours per week on a regularly scheduled basis. Evening and Saturday work is probable.
Provides general customer service and supports library operations. Reports to the library director for general instruction and review.
- Helping library patrons find materials
- Checking materials in and out
- Answering the library telephone
- Shelving library materials and maintaining materials in proper shelf order
- Preparing library materials for circulation
- Mending library materials
- Assisting in planning and implementing library programs
- Updating genealogical indexes and summaries on the computer
- Processing ILL requests and transits as scheduled or requested
- Cataloging library materials using copy cataloging methods as scheduled or requested
- Other library related duties as assigned
Requires the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Some knowledge of library materials and methods
- Thorough knowledge of alphabet and of the decimal system
- Knowledge of and skill in using effective English, including good grammar
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to perform clerical tasks efficiently and accurately.
- Physical ability to bend, stoop, push, reach, grasp, finger for writing and typing, lift, and carry up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to assess visual cues. Far vision at 20 feet or further; near vision at 20 inches or less
- Ability to perform clerical tasks efficiently and accurately
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with others in person and over the telephone
- Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with the public
- Ability to arrive at work in a punctual manner and reliably assume responsibility as delegated
- Ability to use office equipment, including photocopier, fax machine, computer programs and other equipment as required
- Ability to handle details, complete work with normal speed, and tolerate stress of busy circulation desk
- Ability to understand and carry out both written and oral instructions
Required Education and Experience:
A high school diploma or its equivalent is required.
Library experience preferred.
No applicant for employment shall be discriminated against because of age, race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, or disability.
Appointment and/or continued employment is contingent on successful completion of a background check.
Please submit a resume to Megan Kloeckner at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 22, 2018.