Using the Internet at the Clinton Public Library
For more information, call the library at 608-676-5569
Internet Use Policy
The mission of the Clinton Public Library is to serve all the citizens of Clinton and the surrounding area by providing access to materials that will enrich, enhance, promote and strengthen the community. Particularly, we wish to promote children's interest in learning, and having adequate reference resources to meet the needs of the community. Access to the Internet is included because it is an excellent reference tool for current information about a wide variety of topics.
All users of the Public Access Internet Workstation are expected to use these resources in a responsible, ethical manner consistent with the educational and informational purpose of a library. All users are expected to follow these basic rules and regulations.
1. "Responsible, ethical" use includes:
Not attempting to modify or gain acces to files, passwords or data belonging to others
Not attempting to access computer systems, or damaging or altering software or components of any network or database;
Respecting the privacy of others using this library by not interfering with their work by your presence or your noise;
Making only authorized copies of copyrighted or licensed software or data;
Not sending, receiving or displaying text or graphics which violate either current state or federal obscenity laws or offend the sensibilities of library staff or patrons.
2. Because of the presence on the Internet of materials which are potentially offensive or inappropriate for children, all individuals under the age of 18 MUST have written permission to use the Public Access Internet Workstation in the Clinton Public Library.
3. Children 10 years old and under MUST Be Accompanied By A Parent Or Guardian The Entire Time They Are At The Internet Workstation!
4. Internet "turns" will be no longer than 1 hour a day. Extensions are at the discretion of library staff.
5. There will be no more than two people at the workstation without parental supervision.
The Clinton Public Library assumes no responsiblity for the use of the Internet by children. Just as libraries do not vouch for or endorse the viewpoints of written materials in the collection, they do not do so for electronic information. Selection policies which serve to govern the library's purchase for written materials may not apply to materials accessed electronically. It is the responsiblity of the user or parent to determine what is appropriate. The user, or their legal guardian, is also responsible for any and all costs for repairs necessitated by their or their child's negligent or destructive behavior.
If time and job responsiblities allow, the library staff may demonstrate some basic use of Netscape to access the Arrowhead Library System home page and other useful Internet sites but will not be familiar with every application. Because of the many different Internet applications, library staff cannot provide technical support of sites on the Internet.
© 2013 Clinton Public Library